Documenting the American South

DocSouth Home
Signature of James L. Dusenbery and several photographs artistically combined.

Willis, Laura Ann Norcom (née Dusenbery)

Home of Edmund Halsey Norcom and Laura Dusenbery Norcom. Built in 1851, the house originally stood on Craven St. in Beaufort, NC. and remained in the family for over a century. In 1984, to save the Norcom house from demolition, the current owners moved it to 102 Ann St.

Photograph by Erika Lindemann.

Grave of Edmund Halsey Norcom.

Photograph by Erika Lindemann.

Confederate States Army monument for Hezekiah Willis. The monument reads: "Hezekiah H Willis/Pvt Co H 10 Regt 1 NC Arty/Confederate States Army/1836 1911."

Photograph by Erika Lindemann.

Grave of Hezekiah H. Willis. The gravestone reads: "Hezekiah H. Willis/Born Aug 29, 1836/Died Mar 27, 1911/WILLIS."

Photograph by Erika Lindemann.

Laura Ann Dusenbery (1826–1880?) was the daughter of Lydia Davis (1797–1857) and Henry Rounsaville Dusenbery (1794–1852) and James Dusenbery’s sister. She was educated in Greensboro, NC, probably at the Greensboro Female Academy. She married Edmund Halsey Norcom (1824–1867) of Edenton, NC, in 1847, the same year in which Edmund graduated from the University of North Carolina. The couple moved to Beaufort, NC, where Norcom became a merchant and ship’s chandler. Laura and Edmund were the parents of three sons and four daughters: Alice L. (1849–1864), Lilla Bowie (1851–1855), Henry D. (1855–1928), Ann H. (b. 1858), Joseph D. (b. 1861), Laura (1862–1863), and Edmund H.(1865–1954). After Norcom’s death, Laura continued to manage the family business with her sons and ran a boarding house. By 1880 she had married Hezekiah Willis (1836–1911), a Beaufort, NC, dry goods merchant. She is buried next to Edmund Norcom under an unmarked slab in the Norcom family plot in the Old Burying Ground, Beaufort, NC.





ODH logo               UNC Library logo               CDLA logo