South Carolina College was founded as a state-supported institution in 1801. During the antebellum period, it offered a classical education to the sons of South Carolina's elite. The college closed during the Civil War. When it reopened in 1873 it was a more representative and democratic institution, but that version of the College was short-lived. The College closed again in 1877 and reopened in 1880 as an all-white agricultural college. After decades of turmoil, the college was re-chartered in 1906 under its current name, the University of South Carolina.
Work consulted: "University History," Office of the President, University of South Carolina, 2 September 2005,