Documenting the American South Logo
Loading

Annual Report of the Colored Orphan Asylum
Located at Oxford, North Carolina
from December 1, 1908, to December 1, 1909:

Electronic Edition.

Colored Orphan Asylum (Oxford, N.C.)


Funding from the Institute for Museum and Library Services
supported the electronic publication of this title.


Text scanned (OCR) by Tammy Evans
Images scanned by Melissa Graham
Text encoded by Melissa Graham and Natalia Smith
First edition, 2001
ca. 45K
Academic Affairs Library, UNC-CH
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
2001.

        © This work is the property of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.

Source Description:
(title page) Annual report of the Colored Orphan Asylum located at Oxford, North Carolina from December 1, 1908, to December 1, 1909
(serial ) Annual report of the Colored Orphan Asylum Located at Oxford, North Carolina [serial].
Colored Orphan Asylum (Oxford, N.C.)
16 p.
Oxford, N.C.
Oxford Orphan Asylum
1910

Call number C362.7 C71 1909 (North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)


        The electronic edition is a part of the UNC-CH digitization project, Documenting the American South.
        The text has been encoded using the recommendations for Level 4 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines.
        Original grammar, punctuation, and spelling have been preserved. Encountered typographical errors have been preserved, and appear in red type.
        Any hyphens occurring in line breaks have been removed, and the trailing part of a word has been joined to the preceding line.
        All quotation marks, em dashes and ampersand have been transcribed as entity references.
        All double right and left quotation marks are encoded as " and " respectively.
        All single right and left quotation marks are encoded as ' and ' respectively.
        All em dashes are encoded as --
        Indentation in lines has not been preserved.
        Running titles have not been preserved.
        Spell-check and verification made against printed text using Author/Editor (SoftQuad) and Microsoft Word spell check programs.


Library of Congress Subject Headings, 21st edition, 1998

Languages Used:

LC Subject Headings:


Revision History:


Illustration


Illustration


ANNUAL REPORT
OF THE
COLORED ORPHAN ASYLUM
LOCATED AT
ORFORD, NORTH CAROLINA
FROM
December 1, 1908, to December 1, 1909

1910 Orphanage Print:
Oxford N. C.


Page 3


Page 5

Report of Superintendent.

To the Board of Directors Colored Orphan Asylum:

        In the beginning of our report to you of the management of the affairs of the Institution during the past year, it is gratifying to state that Providence has continued to lead us in the ways of peace and amity, having vouchsafed to us the wonderful blessings of health and strength, allowing no complaints of suffering for the necessaries of life, supplying our actual needs by liberal gifts from the good people of both races of our State, supplemented with the splendid results of all the crops cultivated by the children on the farm of the Home. It is pleasing also to state that although this has been a stirring year in all the departments of business as well as a year of repairs and building in most of the communities among the church people and a year of gradual emerging from the smothering smoke and embarrassing effects of the money panic and the floods of last year, the churches, Sunday Schools, and individuals have shared their substance and the first fruits of their increase with us in a remarkable and gracious way, giving the Home not only comfort but sunshine, cheer and great encouragement.

        
  Boys Girls Total
Number of children December 1, 1908 54 90 144
Number admitted during the year 16 17 33
Number become self-supporting 4 8 12
Whole Number in charge December 1, 1909 66 99 165

        On account of the alarming needs as well as a natural demand for suitable and substantial buildings for the protection of the health and lives of the inmates here and through the unprecedented and sincere activity of such humanitarians as Judge A. W. Graham, our representative and Speaker of the House of Representatives of North Carolina and Mr. R. W. Lassiter, President of the First


Page 6

National Bank of Oxford, North Carolina, supplemented with the powerful recommendation of our good and big-hearted Governor, Hon. W. W. Kitchin, the Legislature of North Carolina, which was composed of a class of clearheaded and business-like statesmen, appropriated $5000.00 to meet the crying and aching demand of this Institution with the understanding that the generous public will raise a similar amount. Now, that the Home might be sure to do its part in this great undertaking and especially to insure and guarantee an amount to equal that so kindly given by the State, we commenced in the early spring with energies bent double to mould and make brick by hand, the old-fashioned way, and did make a few, but soon found the method to be out of keeping with the progressive age and sadly deficient in economy and rapidity. In the meantime, however, this old-fashioned and feeble undertaking has served to land us just deep enough into the earth to discover, what we think to be, a little mint in a clay bed on our farm, from which we expect financial profit to the Home in the future as well as the manufacture of brick to meet our present demands. So changing our tactics, and with the use of a No. 2 Kell's brick machine, which we purchased from Mr. G. K. Hundley, at a cost of $450.00 for cash, and one 30-horse power engine of Mr. W. E. Cannady, who is a friend of the orphan cause and has helped us in our struggles as has Mr. Hundley, at a cost of $700.00, we are in a position to furnish all the brick necessary for the new buildings here in question. We have already manufactured enough brick to erect the main dormitory building, in contemplation, having burned with great success one kiln of (100,000) one hundred thousand brick and one hundred thousand more made and being placed in the kiln for burning. It may be interesting and enco uraging to the publicto know that the orphan boys are the most conspicuous laborers at the Asylum brickyard, and that they have learned to do their work well there. This is also true on the farm and in the shoe and harness, blacksmith and wood shops.


Page 7

        Our efforts in all the departments of the farm have been blessed this year with wonderfully gratifying results. The crops of corn, peas, potatoes, turnips, oats, clover, syrup and all garden vegetables were good and the yield very large. The fact that the boys of the Home, a majority of whom are small and young, easily and readily catch on to the science of farming and are becoming good plowers and hoe hands, accounts largely for our success this year. Too much credit cannot be given to the girls of the Institution for their untiring industry; they assisted in the planting and cultivating and harvesting of all the crops of their own accord, and at the same time complied with the strictest domestic discipline and training in house-cleaning, laundry cooking and sewing.

        The yield of the different crops is about as follows: 150 barrels of corn, 200 bushels of stock peas, 600 bushels of sweet potatoes, 200 bushels of white potatoes, 100 bushels of onions, 58 stacks of forage, and a large crop of syrup and turnips. Special mention should be made of the wonderful cabbage crop that was cultivated at the Home this year. It was said to be the finest cabbage field that was ever seen grow in Granville county. The plants were not all set at the same time but at different periods, so that the field afforded cabhage until quite late in the year. Too much praise and thanks cannot be given to Messrs. W. C. Gerty&Co., Young's Island, S. C., for their kindness in this connection, for they furnished, free to the Asylum, the thousands of plants used by the Orphanage at all stages of the season and have done so for the last two years. We count these good people among our best supporters, quickened with the proper spirit of giving and sincere friends to the orphan cause.

        Our success on farm and garden this year was due largely to the fact that the principle improvements used under the crops were compost raised from our farm pens, with some fertilizer of course. Through the assistance of our kind and strong friend, Rev. Rufus P. King, of High


Page 8

Point, N. C., the Home is in possession of a nice lot of good milch cows, and we had ten cows to the pail during the entire year. We also have a good stock of hogs which we are seeking to improve and will have some meat for the winter for the use of the Home.

        On account of the high prices of bread-stuff in the market of the country, we have been compelled to sew a large crop of wheat, which is looking well.

        We are delighted the many valuable gifts to mention sent by our generous white and colored friends from different sections of our State and some from Northern friends, such as boxes and barrels of clothing. These presents always delight the children. When opening the boxes or the barrels, while the children are standing around, we always come to the conclusion that the good donors can never imagine nor will ever know the peculiar joy and sunshine their timely benevolence gives these penniless orphans.

        There has been no friction in the government of the Institution in any of the departments. Everything has worked smoothly and harmoniously to the comfort and training of the children, except on May 12th, at about 8 o'clock p. m., the Infant Department was discovered on fire and in a short while was in ashes without the injury or loss of life of any child; losing, however, all clothing and furniture and a total loss to the Home of about $2,500.00 with no insurance. The Hospital Building being at that time vacant the 52 little children were taken there and made comfortable again, especially with the assistance of the good people of both races of the city of Oxford, who came at once to their aid with clothing and necessities. Too much praise and gratitude cannot be given to the fire company of Oxford, who came like a rushing wind to our rescue as soon as our telephone message gave them the alarm; also we were delighted and comforted in our panic-stricken efforts to save the other buildings which were being threatened, when we beheld the anxious multitude of sympathizing citizens pouring down the road from the city in carriages buggies and


Page 9

automobiles to assist in the rescue from the roaring flames the discouraged and horrified little orphans.

        Our Singing Class of nine little girls, under the management of Rev. S. G. Newsome, of Weldon, N. C., and Miss Maud Skidmore, of Oxford. N. C., traveled for the Home this year, instead of the Band, with marked success, making, from what we bear, many favorable and lasting impressions which it is hoped will serve to stir the people to the true sense of duty and the divine obligation which they owe the orphans.

        One of the most uplifting and inspiring treats that has come to the Asylum during the year was an "All-together Rally" by the First Baptist Church of Oxford, on the third Sunday in November last, in which the good citizens both white and colored took a liberal and enthusiastic part, raising for the Orphanage $252.68, upon which occasion Dr. A, Shepard of Durham, president of our Board of Directors, preached in the morning, Dr. G. C. Shaw, member of Board of Directors, preached in the afternoon, and Dr. Geo. D. Wharton, of Buffalo Springs, Va., pastor, at night. Each sermon was, distinctively effective and seemed to have been selected and directed by Him who selects and directs all things for our good. The people in Oxford are still joyously talking and saying that the rally was not only a blessing to the poor orphans, but a rich remuneration to them for their zeal in such a cause.

        The Anniversary Day, on the 28th of last July, was regarded by all as one amongst the most important and enthusiastic occasions, of the kind, in the history of the Institution. One of the largest and most orderly gatherings of the colored people ever seen in North Carolina, computed by our white visitors to number from 5, 000 to 7, 000 people, who listened with interest and delight to the powerful and masterly address delivered by Hon. R. B. McRary, the Most Worshipful Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Masons of North Carolina, were in attendance on the Asylum grounds that day. The orphan children, and, we are sure, the good


Page 10

people of the entire State feel grateful to Grand Master McRary for his splendid scheme recently inaugurated by which to raise money through Masonic channels to assist in the erection of comfortable and safe buildings for the orphan children here. He not only cheered the hearts of the thousands here on Anniversary Day, but revived and made glad the hearts of the colored orphans of North Carolina, when he presented to Mr. R. W. Lassiter, President of the First National Bank of Oxford, who is treasurer of building funds of the Home, a purse of $200.00, collected from the Lodges of the State, under which plans other small amounts are coming in almost daily, all of which is entirely separate and distinct from the regular annual appropriation given by the Grand Lodge of North Carolina.

        Great interest has been manifested in the Home this year. The following distinguished visitors delivered instructive lectures to the children during the past year: Dr. G. C. Shaw, of Oxford, Rev. Rufus P. King of High Point, N. C., Prof. V. V. Bond, Littleton, N. C., Dr. J. R. Hague, Chicago, Ill., Dr. Geo. D. Wharton, Prof. Skippith, Boydton, Va., Prof, Gould, Boydton, Va., Dr. S. N. Vass, Raleigh, N. C., Mrs. Anna Gould, Boydton, Va., Mrs. Ayers, Menrovia, Africa, Rev. Terry, Sistine, Africa, and Mrs. Bunn, of Selma, N. C. The Supreme Grand Lodge of the Knights of Gideon held its annual sitting in Oxford this year and did the orphans the honor of visiting the Home in a body, and the children were instructed and inspired with many nice and sympathetic speeches as well as a timely purse of $25.50.

        One of the exceedingly pleasant things to know in connection with the work here is the deep and friendly interest which the white citizens of Oxford, especially the merchants and business men, entertain toward the Asylum. They never refuse us a kindness whenever it is possible to grant it.

The orphans and the colored people of North Carolina cannot remember with too much gratitude Hon. J. T. Pullen, of Raleigh, General J. S. Carr, Hon. B. L. Duke and


Page 11

B. N. Duke, Durham, N. C., and Hons. D. Y. Cooper, T. T. Hicks, A. C. Zollicoffer, J. Bailey Owen, of Henderson, and others for their benevolence towards the orphan children here. These good friends sent the following amounts opposite their names to assist in the erection of better dormitories for the children, viz.:
Grand Rally First Baptist Church, Oxford $ 252 68
Gen. J. S. Carr 200 00
Hon. B. L. Duke 50 00
Hon. D. Y. Cooper 15 00
Mrs. T. A. Foster 10 00
Men's State Baptist Convention at Wilson 28 15
Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Hunter 10 00
The Lot Cary Convention 30 00
Without name, through Rev. Rufus P. King 30 00
Messrs. Moore, Spaulding&Merrick-Provident Insurance Co of Durham 34 25
Lawyer A. Z. Zollicoffer 5 00
Mr. J. B. Owens 5 00
Mr. E. A. Love 5 00
Mr. R. I. Riggin 1 25
J. C. Jeffreys, of our Board of Directors 20 00
V. N. Bond 6 00
R. W. Joyner, Branchville, Va. 5 00
Sent by W. A. Joyner and friends at Branchville, Va. 8 00
Dr. G. C. Shaw 17 00
Dr. J. W. H. Boolier 3 50
W. G. Pearson, Durham 10 00
Mattie E. Higgs 1 00
Prof. P. W. Moore 2 00
Dr. L. L. Burrell, Selma, Ala 2 75
Mr. Clem Thaxter 5 00
Mrs. Della Williams 2 32
Charles E. Cheatham 2 00
Hon. Wheeler Martin 5 00
J. T. Pullen 5 00
Mr. M. M. White 10 00
Mr. Geo. J. Scattergood 2 00
Rev. D. H. Tuttle 2 50
Mr. Jonathan E. Rhoads 5 00
Mr. D. S. Moss 5 00
Mr. Geo. Batten 10 00
Mr. T. T. Hicks 5 00


Page 12

Amount from sale of berries picked by small children under Mrs. Perry's management 5 00
Mr. W. D. Newsome 2 00
T. F. Baxter 5 00
Hon. G. D. Canfield 5 00
Hon. W. D. Pruden 5 00
Dr. Matt R. Stephenson 3 00
Mr. W. H. Jeffreys 1 00
Mr. R. D. Patterson 1 00
Mr. R. L. Harvey 1 50
Mr. W. N. Gooch 2 00
Hon. C. R. Harrell 2 25
Hon. F. D. Winston 5 00
The Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Masons of North Carolina, 406 65
Grand Master McRary, from different Masonic Lodges 168 66
Rev. C. S. Mitchell, for Roanoke Baptist Association 47 31
Dr. W. A. Pegues, for Wake Association 25 00

        

CONDENSED STATEMENT OF RECEIPTS, FROM JANUARY 1, 1908, TO DECEMBER 1, 1909.

State appropriation $ 5,000 06  
Singing Class 701 35  
Shoe and Harness Shop 51 25  
(Amount saved to the Home, $150.00.)    
Blacksmith and Wood Shop 70 00  
(Amount saved to the Home, $350.00.)    
Anniversary collection 35 50  
Rent of Grounds 75 00  
    $5,933 10
     
Churches, Sunday Schools, Unions, Conventions, Associations, Insurance Companies, Individuals and Agents $ 1,231 38  
Farm and Garden products and Dairy 1,134 92  
Hire for Children 50 75  
Sale of one cow 25 00  
    2,442 05
Total   $ 8,375 15

        

DISBURSEMENTS FROM DECEMBER 1, 1908, TO DECEMBER 1, 1909.

Salaries and wages $ 3,120 00  
Clothing and bedding 925 00  
Subsistence 2,100 00  
Wood and oil 500 00  
    $ 6,545 00
     
Carried forward   $ 6,545 00


Page 13

Brought forward   $6,545 00
Repairs to building $50 75  
New stoves 40 00  
Paint on granary and other buildings 65 75  
Material for shops 50 00  
Repairs to pumps and wells 51 00  
One new well and pump at brick yard 125 00  
    $ 382 00
Office expenses $ 200 00  
1 No. 2 brick mill 450 00  
1 3-horse power engine ($700.00) 550 00  
Brickyard fuel and wood 200 00  
Building sheds and lumber 250 00  
Hire expert labor at brickyard 500 00  
Wood and fuel for the Home 331 80  
Wheel and moulds 27 00  
Brick trucks 100 00  
    $2,608 80
Total   $ 9,535 80

        The needs of the Home are many and varied, and should any friend North or South feel moved to help this struggling cause, they can do so to great advantage in furnishing the Orphanage with beds and bedding, especially iron bedsteads with mattresses, single or double. Of course, the Home is very dependent upon friends everywhere for the necessary amount of money with which to complete the much-needed brick buildings now in progress for the safety and comfort of the orphans, and any amount sent to R. W. Lassiter, President of the First National Bank of Oxford, will be used only for that purpose.

        We were almost entirely destitute of the sacred word of God and it seemed we couldn't afford to spare the money from the actual necessaries of life to supply this sore need; we therefore finally appealed to the American Baptist Publication Society of Philadelphia, who at once recognizing our condition, presented the Home with a most valuable box of fifty beautiful and well-bound Bibles, for which the Board of Directors as well as the orphans are indeed grateful and under lasting obligations.


Page 14

        Special reference should be made to the friendly and untiring business-like manner in which the Auditing Board, Messrs. T. C. Harris and C. S. Easton, have adjusted and settled the accounts of the Institution. Their ripe experience has certainly been of great advantage to the Home in the settlement of the thousands of accounts coming before them during the year. These gentlemen were appointed by the Governor to look after the State's interest in the annual appropriation made for the Home.

        The school of the Home was opened at the usual time this year in charge of Miss Sallie N. Joyner. The small children and large girls attend school during the day sessions and the boys at night on account of urgent work on the farm and at the brickyard. There is great interest manifested in the school and we are sure great results will be accomplished this year.

        We are glad to state that there has been no epidemic of any kind in the Orphanage this year, and we are indeed grateful to the Great Giver of our lives and health that none of our number has been stricken with any serious malady, but that all have been remarkably healthy and strong. Great credit and praise is due Dr. G. A. Coggeshall, the physician in charge at the Home, for his skillful treatment of the children and successful management and promotion of the sanitary conditions of the Institution.

        The Institution is blessed with faithful and competent matrons and workers; while they are pleasant and indulgent in their relation to the children, they are nevertheless positive and uncompromising in their discipline and training.

        Our order of religious exercises is as follows:--

        A standing invitation is extended to the ministers of the different churches to preach to the Home any hour on the Sabbath convenient to them.


Page 15

Report of Board of Directors.

        We, the Board of Directors of the Colored Orphan Asylum, having heard the Superintendent's report for the past year, are highly pleased with the same. We review with delight the work that has been done in all the departments during the year. Especially are we pleased with his efforts to erect a new dormitory for the boys. We feel keenly the loss by fire of one of the buildings, and appeal to the public for aid to replace the same. The Superintendent has labored hard to make the brick on the grounds for the building. Though he has met some disappointments in his efforts, we are glad to note that these difficulties have about been overcome and that now he is well on the way to making a very good brick.

        We are delighted, too, with the success of the farm. This is a feature of the work that we feel too much stress cannot be laid. The Asylum is not only helped financially, but the boys are receiving a training that is indispensable for their future usefulness. If the farm brought no revenue to the Institution, the training the boys are receiving in agriculture would fully repay the State for every cent invested here.

        We find the health of the children good. They all seem happy and contented. The workers are all earnest and devoted helpers.

        We recommend the Institution to the generosity of the public as in every way worthy of their support, and the Superintendent as amply able and qualified to use wisely and to account intelligently for every cent that comes to the Asylum. We wish to thank the Masonic Order for their generous support in the past and assure them and all others who have contributed, that it will ever be the aim of


Page 16

the Superintendent and the Board of Directors to use and account for your contributions that we may reasonably expect your continued support.

A. SHEPARD, D. D., Chairman,
I. ALSTON,
M. F. THORNTON,
H. E. LONG,
J. W. LEVEY,
A. M. MOORE,
I. C. JEFFREYS,
H. P. CHEATHAM,
M. C. RANSOM,
G. C. SHAW,
On the part of the State: R. W. LASSITER,
LUTHER BUCHANAN,
M. L. COLEY,
Board of Directors.