Documenting the American South Logo
Loading
True and Candid Compositions: The Lives and Writings of Antebellum Students at the University of North Carolina

A guide to images used in the "True and Candid Compositions" collection



Old East Building 

Image for the Introduction

The cornerstone for Old East building was laid in 1793. When completed, Old East was used as a dormitory. This image of Old East comes from Charles Lee Smith's The History of Education in North Carolina (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1888), p. 54.



Drawing of Old East by John Pettigrew 

Image for Chapter One Essays

This drawing of Old East building by John Pettigrew in 1797 is the first known image of the University of North Carolina. The original drawing is part of the North Carolina Collection's Photoarchives. A duplication of the original drawing is also available in Kemp P. Battle's History of the University of North Carolina. Volume I: From Its Beginning to the Death of President Swain, 1789-1868 (Raleigh, NC: Edwards & Broughton Print. Co., 1907), p. 60.



Gerrard Hall 

Image for Chapter Two Essays

Gerrard Hall was built over the period of 1822 to 1837 and was used for religious services, commencements, and other purposes. It is sometimes referred to as "New Chapel." This image of Gerrard Hall comes from Charles Lee Smith's The History of Education in North Carolina (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1888), p. 70.



The Early Campus 

Image for Chapter Three Essays

This early engraving of the University of North Carolina campus shows (from left to right) Old East, Smith Hall, South Building, and Old West. At the center of the image is the old bellfry, which was an important symbol on the early campus. This image is included in the entry for "University of North Carolina" in Cyclopædia of American Literature; Embracing Personal and Critical Notices of Authors, and Selections from Their Writings. From the Earliest Period to the Present Day with Portraits, Autographs, and Other Illustrations (New York: Charles Scribner, 1856), p. 105.



Poem Title: Elegy on a Sore Toe 

Image for Chapter Four Essays

This manuscript image comes from the first page of a poem by Robert Troy Hall, "Elegy on a Sore Toe." Please see the transcription of the poem and the linked page images.



Philanthropic Society Hall 

Images for Chapter Five Essays

The Philanthropic Society was one of two debating and literary societies at the University of North Carolina. Each society had its own hall and library. This image comes from Charles Lee Smith's The History of Education in North Carolina (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1888), p. 92.



South Building 

Image for Chapter Six Essays

South Building, begun in 1798, was completed in 1814. It contained dormitory rooms, debating society halls, and recitation rooms. This image comes from Charles Lee Smith's The History of Education in North Carolina (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1888), p. 62.



"Southern Literature" from masthead of the North Carolina University Magazine

Image for Editorial Practices Essays

This drawing comes from the title page of the North Carolina University Magazine, which began in 1844 as a publication of the Senior Class. Several excerpts from the magazine are available on the site. For the full cover, please see "Commencement Exercises." from 1859. To learn more about the history of the magazine, please see the overview available on the North Carolina Collection website.



Section of the Library

Image for Browse Pages

Smith Hall was built in 1851 and became the University's library. This image comes from Charles Lee Smith's The History of Education in North Carolina (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1888), p. 52.



Dialectic Society Hall

Image for Related Published Sources and Bibliography Pages

The Debating Society was formed in 1795, the year the University of North Carolina opened. The following year it became the Dialectic Society. It was one of two literary and debating societies, and until the mid-1870s, students invariably joined of one or the other society. This image shows the Dialectic Society Hall and is the frontispiece of the publication Catalogue of the Members of the Dialectic Society Instituted in the University of North Carolina, June 3, 1795, Together With Historical Sketches.