Documenting the American South Logo
Loading

Register of Members of the Philanthropic Society, Instituted in the University of North Carolina, August 1st, 1795:
Electronic Edition.

University of North Carolina (1793-1962). Philanthropic Society.

Ed. by Weeks, Stephen Beauregard, 1865-1918


Funding from the State Library of North Carolina supported the electronic publication of this title.


Text transcribed by Apex Data Services, Inc.
Images scanned by Brian Dietz
Text encoded by Apex Data Services, Inc., Brian Dietz, and Elizabeth S. Wright
First edition, 2005
ca. 210K
University Library, UNC-Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
2005.

        © This work is the property of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text.

Source Description:
(title page) Register of Members of the Philanthropic Society, Instituted in the University of North Carolina, August 1st, 1795
Stephen B. Weeks, M.A., Class of 1886
Fourth Edition, Revised and Enlarged
72 p., ill.
Raleigh, N. C.;
Edwards, Broughton & Co., Power Printers and Binders
1887

Call number C378 URp 1887 c. 5 (North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)



        The electronic edition is a part of the UNC-Chapel Hill digitization project, Documenting the American South.
        The text has been entered using double-keying and verified against the original.
        The text has been encoded using the recommendations for Level 4 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines.
        The headings "Graduates" and "Non-Graduates" have been supplied for the register of members. This division was represented by a small horizontal line in the original. See "Explanations" on page 4 of the text.
        Original grammar, punctuation, and spelling have been preserved. Encountered typographical errors have been preserved, and appear in red type.
        Any hyphens occurring in line breaks have been removed, and the trailing part of a word has been joined to the preceding line.
        All quotation marks, em dashes and ampersand have been transcribed as entity references.
        All double right and left quotation marks are encoded as " and " respectively.
        All single right and left quotation marks are encoded as ' and ' respectively.
        All em dashes are encoded as --
        Indentation in lines has not been preserved.
        Running titles have not been preserved.
Library of Congress Subject Headings

Languages Used:

LC Subject Headings:


Revision History:


        

Illustration

[Cover Image]


        

Illustration

[Frontispiece Image]


        

Illustration

[Title Page Image]


REGISTER OF MEMBERS
OF THE
PHILANTHROPIC SOCIETY,
INSTITUTED IN THE
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA,
AUGUST 1st, 1795.

Fourth Edition, Revised and Enlarged.

        "Virtue, Liberty and Science."

EDITED BY

STEPHEN B. WEEKS, M. A.,
CLASS OF 1886.

RALEIGH, N. C.:
EDWARDS, BROUGHTON & CO., POWER PRINTERS AND BINDERS.
1887.


Page 2

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA.

FACULTY.

        Instruction is offered in three regular courses of study. Special and optional courses are provided in Mineralogy, Chemistry and other sciences relating to Agriculture. Schools of Law and Pharmacy fully equipped. The sessions always begin the last Thursday in August and end the first Thursday in June, with a vacation of about one week at Christmas. For catalogues or other information, address

HON. KEMP P. BATTLE, LL. D., PRESIDENT,

CHAPEL HILL, N. C.


Page 3

THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA

        Was formally opened Feb. 12, 1795, and Hinton James was the first to enter as a student. Aug. 1st, 1795, the "Concord" Society was formed by W. C. Alston, David Gillespie, Evan Jones, Henry Kearney, George W. Long, Nicholas Long and Edwin J. Osborne, with David Gillespie as its first President. Aug. 29th, 1796, the name was changed to "Philanthropic" Society and Richard Eagles was its first President.

        The objects of the Society were and have continued to be two-fold. First, the improvement of its members in the science and art of debating, in English composition and the attainment of a good style, in the knowledge of parliamentary rules and modes of conducting public business[.] Secondly, the cultivation of moral and social virtues, and the formation of lasting friendships, founded on co-operation in honorable works. In order to further these great ends the Society has used every effort for the accumulation of good books and the collection of portraits of its members, who after leaving its halls have attained high positions.

        In all these aims the Society has been wonderfully successful. It has a choice library of 8,000 volumes and twenty oil portraits of distinguished members. There is not a State south of Mason and Dixon's line which has not had its public and private institutions moulded by its members. The executive, legislative and judicial departments of them all, as well as their great corporate and individual enterprises, have been ably guided by those who have freely acknowledged their obligations to the Philanthropic Society.

        Nor has the good work of the Society been confined to the Southern States. Its sons have attained eminence in other States and in the service of the Union. As Vice-President, Cabinet Officers, Foreign Ministers, Senators, Members of the House of Representatives, they have been conspicuous for wise and faithful service.

        When the great civil war began they naturally, as a rule, fought for the South until its sun went down. Through all official positions from generals to lieutenants, and the equally honorable places of the private soldier, they were among the foremost in fidelity and gallantry. There was not a victory in which they were not crowned with laurels, nor a battle-field which was not stained with their blood.

        The following register of the members of the Society will show the truth of the foregoing statements. Considering the frequent changes of homes among our people, probably the most mobile of the world, the list is as accurate as could reasonably be expected. All persons noticing errors or omissions will confer a favor on the Society by sending true statements to "The President of the Philanthropic Society," Chapel Hill, N. C.


Page 4

        The Society had continuous meetings from 1795 until 1868. There was then a suspension until 1875, when it was re-organized. Its motto is "Virtue, Liberty and Science." Its color is white, emblem of purity.

        To many alumni and friends who have assisted in perfecting the work and in publishing it the thanks of the Society and of the editor are due.

        Thanks are also due to Messrs. Alfred Williams & Co., of Raleigh, for the use of their cut of Memorial Hall.

EXPLANATIONS.

        The names of active members alone are printed. They are divided into two classes, those above the line in any year are graduates of the University, those below are not. The addresses are those at the time of entering. An asterisk (*) denotes death, the date before, the year; when no State is mentioned in connection with offices held, the native State is implied, when a State is mentioned, it applies to all that follows until another State is named.

        An appendix has been added containing the names of all members who fell in the service of the Confederate States. Sketches of these have been added when obtainable. The occupation has been given when known, the editor feeling that, while the lists were very imperfect in that respect, it was best to make a beginning for others to work upon; so with the dates of death.


Page 5

REGISTER OF MEMBERS
OF THE
PHILANTHROPIC SOCIETY.

1795.

1796.


Page 6

1797.

1798.

1799.

1800.

        NO GRADUATES THIS YEAR.

1801.

1802.

        NO GRADUATES THIS YEAR.


Page 8

1803.

1804.

1805.

1806.

1807.

1808.

1809.

1810.

1811.

1812.

1813.


Page 12

1814.

1815.


Page 13

1816.

1817.

1818.

1819.

1820.

1821.

1822.

1823.

1824.

1825.

1826.

1827.

1828.

1829.

1830.

1831.

1832.

1833.

1834.

1835.

1836.

1837.

1838.

1839.

1840.

1841.

1842.


Page 28

1843.

1844.

1845.

1846.

1847.

1848.

1849.


Page 33

1850.


Page 34

1851.

1852.


Page 36

1853.

1854.

1855.

1856.

1857.


Page 45

1858.

1859.

1860.

1861.

1862.

1863.

1864.


Page 52

1865.

1866.

1867.

        NO GRADUATES THIS YEAR.

1868.

        NO GRADUATES THIS YEAR.

1875.

1876.

1877.

1878.

1879.


Page 58

1880.

1881.


Page 59

1882.

1883.

1884.

1885.

1886.

1887.


Page 65

ROLL OF CONFEDERATE DEAD
OF THE
PHILANTHROPIC SOCIETY.

        
Total number of Graduates, 1795-1887 . . . . . 818
Total number of Non-Graduates . . . . . 1,323
Total number of Members . . . . . 2,141
Died in Confederate Service . . . . . 135


Page 71

ROLL OF CONFEDERATE DEAD
OF THE
DIALECTIC SOCIETY.

        (This Roll is inserted on the suggestion of President Battle. It seems eminently fitting that each Society should thus honor the gallant dead of her sister.--EDITOR.)

1821.

1832.

1834.

1835.

1837.

1838.

1839.

1840.

1841.

1842.

1843.

1845.

1846.

1847.

1848.

1849.

1850.

1851.

1852.

1853.

1854.

1855.

1856.

1857.

1858.

1859.

1860.

1861.

1862.

1864.

        137


        

Illustration

[Back Cover Image]


Return to Menu Page for Register of Members ... by University of North Carolina (1793-1962). Philanthropic Society.

Return to The North Carolina Experience Home Page

Return to True and Candid Compositions Home Page

Return to Documenting the American South Home Page