Memorial Hall was the first building erected after the university reopened in 1875. It was meant to honor the memory of notable men who created and supported the antebellum university, particularly David L. Swain, and to memorialize the sons of the university who had fought and died for the Confederate cause. Memorial Hall was designed by the architect Samuel Sloan. It was constructed in 1885 and demolished in 1930. This image was probably taken in 1929 by the Wootten-Moulton Studio of Chapel Hill. Image from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Collection, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library.