Documenting the American South Logo
Loading
Legend Informational Note
See the Page Image
     Mouseover Available
Title: Map of the Site of the University of North Carolina and Chapel Hill, November 7, 1792: Electronic Edition.
Author: Daniel, John
Funding from the University Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill supported the electronic publication of this title.
Text transcribed by Bari Helms
Images scanned by Imaging and Photographic Services, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Text encoded by Brian Dietz
First Edition, 2005
Size of electronic edition: ca. 10K
Publisher: The University Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
2005
© This work is the property of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It may be used freely by individuals for research, teaching and personal use as long as this statement of availability is included in the text
The electronic edition is a part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill digital library, Documenting the American South.
Languages used in the text: English
Revision history:
2006-03-10, Brian Dietz finished TEI/XML encoding.
Source(s):
Title of collection: University of North Carolina Papers (#40005), University Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Title of document: Map of the Site of the University of North Carolina and Chapel Hill, November 7, 1792
Author: John Daniel, surveyor
Description: 2 pages, 2 page images
Note: Call number 40005 (University Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
oclc: 27188892
Editorial practices
The text has been encoded using the recommendations for Level 5 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines.
Originals are in the University Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Original grammar, punctuation, and spelling have been preserved.
Page images can be viewed and compared in parallel with the text.
Any hyphens occurring in line breaks have been removed, and the trailing part of a word has been joined to the preceding line.
All quotation marks, em dashes and ampersand have been transcribed as entity references.
All double right and left quotation marks are encoded as ".
All single right and left quotation marks are encoded as '.
All em dashes are encoded as —.
Indentation in lines has not been preserved.

For more information about transcription and other editorial decisions, see the section Editorial Practices.
Map of the Site of the University of North Carolina and Chapel Hill, November 7, 1792
Daniel, John



Page 1


                        
                         note=Pen-and-ink map prepared in 1792 by John Daniel, a surveyor employed by the trustees of the University. Shows the tracts of land, springs and creeks, nearby mills, and roads from Fayetteville to Hillsborough, Pittsborough to Petersburg, Hillsborough to Newberne, and the road to Raleigh.; spatial=Chapel Hill, Orange County, North Carolina; coordinates=35.94725 N, 79.07378 W; size=1 map; 70 x 35 cm; file format=JPEG; spatial resolution=100;
[John Daniel's Survey of University Lands]

Note from McCauley's Mill to Daniels House along the course of road [7½] miles and 23 poles.
From Chappel to McCauley's Mill 2¼ miles & 30 pole
From Chappel to Yeargans Mill 1 mile & 10 pole
From Chappel to Jones Mill 1½ miles
From Chappel to Greens Mill 3¾ miles
Note from Geo Daniels to the Chappel on a strait line 4¼ miles.


Page 2
[John Daniels's Written Description of Survey of University Lands]
[The written] Plan illegible [835] acres of land given as a donation to the University [situated] & lying in the bounds of [Orange] and on New Hope Chappel Hill and on the waters of Morgan's Creek and Bollings Creek, [the water] of New Hope running in Haw river and bound on the North by Land of [Benj Yeargans ] and on the East by land of John Morgan and on the West by land of James Craig and Edmond Jones. Beginning at a white oak commonly called the Old Chappel [Corner] [thence] South 132 poles to white oak in the illegible then illegible poles [west] illegible oak thence South 57 poles to Hicory and illegible oak thence west 236 poles to Hicory thence North 4 poles to Hicory and Red Oak thence West [45] poles to Black jack in Edmond Jones's Line thence North with his line 185 poles to illegible Corner thence East 68 poles to Spanish Oak thence North 50 poles to Red and white Oak thence East [56] poles to Black Oak thence North 194 poles to Hicory Benj Yeargan's Line thence East 223 poles to Red Oak on the road thence up the various courses of illegible road South illegible Degs West 62 poles thence South 45 Degs West 80 poles thence South 29 Degs West 36 poles to Hicory Barbee's Corner thence East 143 poles to Hicory thence North 60 poles to Hicory thence East 134 poles to post Oak thence South 82 poles to post Oak in John Morgan's line thence west 134 [poles] illegible thence South to the first station surveyed the 7th & 8th days Nov. 1792.

John Daniel

<