Guide to Images
Click on an image to see larger versions.
- Detail from A New Map of Carolina (ca. 1690) by Philip Lea showing North Carolina's Albemarle County region, one of the first areas in North Carolina to be settled and inhabited by individuals of European descent. This map is available at the North Carolina Collection, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library.
- Detail from an engraving possibly produced by A. Bollet Co. titled "Governor Tryon and the Regulators." From the Bruce Cotten Collection, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library.
- Detail of a Tryon Palace vignette as found on a five-dollar bill of credit, which was printed in 1775 by North Carolina's Provincial Congress. The full image of this bill and many others from North Carolina's past can be viewed at "Historic Moneys in the North Carolina Collection."
- The State Seal of North Carolina as found on the spine of Volume XXVI of The Colonial and State Records of North Carolina.
- The Chowan County courthouse in Edenton, North Carolina. The building was constructed in 1767 and is the state's oldest surviving courthouse. Photograph by Stephen Fletcher, Photographic Archivist, North Carolina Collection.
- Details of several printers' ornaments as found in the following two volumes:
A collection of all the acts of Assembly, of the province of North-Carolina, in force and use since the revisal of the laws in the year 1751: together with the titles of all such laws as are obsolete, had their effect, expir'd or repeal'd: with an exact table: to which is prefixed a list of the names of those gentlemen who subscribed for the book. New Bern, N.C.: Printed by James Davis, M,DCC,LXIV 
A collection of all the acts of Assembly of the province of North-Carolina, now in force and use: together with the titles of all such laws as are obsolete, expired or repealed: in two volumes: with marginal notes and references and an exact table to the whole. New Bern, N.C.: Printed by James Davis, M,DCC,LXV .