Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Letter from Thomas Pollock to James Moore
Pollock, Thomas, 1654-1722
March 31, 1713
Volume 02, Pages 27-29

[From Pollock's Letter Book.]

A copy sent in to Mr Drinkwater to be sent to New Bern by ——

March 31st 1713

Hond Sir

This day by yours of the 26th instant had the joyful news of your great victory over our Enemy Indians, which, as it will I hope be a great means to bring safety and peace to this country, so it will redound much to your honor to have been the chief instrument of so great and good a work. But as the best of metals is mixed with some alloy, so the joy-fullest news many times with qualifying circumstances; as my not hearing from Captn Maule nor none of his company makes me doubt that he and most of his company are killed or wounded.

Your offer of Continuance of your service for the good of this poor Country is noble and generous, and I heartily wish we could have the

-------------------- page 28 --------------------
happiness to have you stay amongst us until the war is finished. And as for my judgment of what measures are most requisite in this present juncture of affairs, I think to the uttermost of our power this blow ought to be vigorously followed up until our enemies are forced to submit themselves. To do which there is wanting more white men, more Indians, and more provision As for white men, you know how difficult it will be to raise any number out of this country, but know not some may be had out of Verginia, of which it may be now time to concert measures with the government there. As for more Indians, it seems some accident hath hindered those 200 that Governor Craven writ of were coming. And if you send for any more now, it will I believe be July or August before we can expect them here. So we must consider what we must do for provision for them. We have a sloop with 800 bushels corne, 32 barrels meat, and some tobacco, now coming round, as I am informed, which I believe might be sufficient to maintain the forces now with you until August next: and I believe with some pains their might be 4 or 500 bushels corne now raised. Now wither you think this 4 or 500 bushels corne, with what new corn and peaches may be had at the Indian towns, and what wheat may be had of the people here, (which I doubt would be but little) would last until our new corn is gathered and carried round, which I believe might be enough, the 500 bushels corn before mentioned will keep them and the forces you have with you one month, and it will be hard if what corn and peaches may be had at the Indian towns, and what wheat may be had amongst the people here will not last them two months more until new corn can be got round to them. So that albeit I durst not not engage, yet if you send for such a number of Indians, you may assure yourself there shall be no want of my endeavors to supply them. For I am really in the mind our Enemies will hardly put any more trust in their forts, but rather trust to the swamps and pocossuns, where the Indians are better than the whites.

I have given a rough and unpolished account of the state of our Country, and of their ability in carrying on the war, to the best of my knowledge with my own opinion that this blow is vigorously to be followed. Now I leave it to your prudent consideration, what number of Indians you think will be convenient to send for, and how you think our provision will hold out. Also, if we have any white men from Verginia, I doubt we must expect little more supply of ammunition for the money raised there will be for paying of their forces, so ammunition must be had from South Carolina. I have much more to write, but the hastening away the post hinders me, and makes me write so confusedly, which hope you will excuse.

-------------------- page 29 --------------------

I have ordered the Council to met here the 15th of April, where and which time I would humbly entreat the honor of your company to concert together the proper measures for the peace and safety of this Country. I have likewise taken care to provide a messenger to carry your letter to the Governor of Verginia, and I doubt not you will have an answer in by that time.

Also some Matamaskite Indians disturbing the people at Matchepungo, and as informed, there being some Cores about Mackayes, now if you think part of your Indians may be spared from Neuse, I believe they may be of service there; which I leave to your consideration. Only if you send any to Pamptico, you must order the sloop with the corn to carry so much of it round to Pemptico as you shall see convenient for their subsistance. And I believe if Tom Blount should come in, and submit to such articles as we shall propose, if it be in two or three weeks, we shall have time to send to Governor Craven to stop the Indians coming in that may be sent. All which may be considered at your coming. I shall add no more but that I sincerely am—


Sir Pray if Capt Maule be alive, give my humble respects to him and all your officers.