Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Journal of the military campaign against the Regulators
No Author
April 21, 1771 - June 21, 1771
Volume 19, Pages 837-854

-------------------- page 837 --------------------
Journal of the Expedition Against the Insurgents in the Western Frontier of North Carolina, Begun the 20th April, 1771.

Sunday, 21 April.

The Carteret Detachment consisting of one company marched into New Bern from Beaufort in the afternoon, under the command of Col. Thompson.

Monday, 22 April.

The Craven Detachment consisting of four Companies (including the Rangers) marched into Town, & five waggons arrived from Orange County for the use of the Army; arrived also the Sloop from New York with two brass Field Pieces and their furniture, Drums, Colours, Camp Kettles, Leggings and Cockades.

Tuesday, 23 April.

The Brass field pieces were drawn up in the morning by the Soldiers, followed by the Colours and Drums, escorted by the Craven and Carteret Detachments to the place where they were lodged. In the afternoon four waggons from Rowan loaded with Flour, were pressed near New Bern and the Flour purchased by the Commissary for the use of the Troops. Six other Waggons arrived from Orange County, agreeable to order, for the public service; all which came upwards of two hundred miles from among the settlements of the Regulators.

Wednesday, 24 April.

The Craven and Carteret Detachments marched out of New Bern, with the two Field Pieces, Six Swivel Guns mounted on Carriages, Sixteen Waggons and Four Carts, loaded with Baggage, Ammunition and as much provision as would supply the several Detachments that were to join them on their Route to Hillsborough. The Craven and Carteret Detachments continued their march till 2 May when they arrived at Col. Bryan’s, one hundred miles from New Bern,

-------------------- page 838 --------------------
the place of general rendezvous for the Troops that came from Wilmington and New Bern Districts.

Note.—The Governor left New Bern 27 April and arrived at Col. Bryan’s 1 May; 2 May the Troops from the Two Districts joined.

Friday, 3 May—Union Camp.

The Governor reviewed, at 12 o’clock, the following Detachments in the Meadow at Smith’s Ferry on the West Side of Neuse River.

Craven—Col. Leech, 3 Companies.
Craven—Capt. Neale, 1 Comp. of Rangers.
Carteret—Col. Thompson, 1
Dobbs—Col. Caswell, 4
New Hanover—Col. Ashe, 2
Johnston—Col. Bryan, 2
Pitt—Capt. Salter, 1
Onslow—Col. Cray, 1
Beaufort—Capt. Patton, 1
New Hanover—Col. Moore, 1 Artillery Comp.

Saturday, 4 May.

The Whole marched to Johnston Court House 9 miles.

Sunday, 5 May.

Marched to Major Hunter’s in Wake County, 13 Miles.

Monday, 6 May.

The Army halted and the Governor reviewed the Wake Regiment at a general muster. Mr. Hinton, Colonel of the Regiment, acquainted the Governor that he had got but 22 men of the Company he had received orders to raise, owing to a disaffection among the Inhabitants of the County. The Governor observing a general discontent in the Wake Regiment as he passed along the front Rank of the Battalion, seeing that not more than one man in five had arms and finding that upon his calling on them to turn out as Volunteers in the Service, they refused to obey, ordered the Army to surround the Battalion, which being effected he directed three of his Colonels to draft out forty of the most sightly and most active men, which caused no small panic in the Regiment consisting at that time of about 400 men. During this drafting the officers of

-------------------- page 839 --------------------
the Army were active in persuading the men to enlist, and in less than two hours compleated the Wake Company to 50 men. The 40 men drafted were released upon their giving their parole they would return next day with their Arms to lend them to such Volunteers as stood in need of them. Night coming on the Wake Regiment was dismissed, much ashamed both of their Disgrace and their own conduct which occasioned it. The Army returned to Camp.

Tuesday, 7 May.

The Wake Detachment consisting of one Company, being their complement of men, and supplyed with arms by those men that were drafted the Evening preceding, marched and encamped with the Army at Jones’ on Crab Tree Creek, 12 Miles from Hunter’s. Rained hard most of the night.

Wednesday, 8 May.

Col. Hinton received orders to remain with the Wake Detachment in his County to support the proper officers in forthwith collecting the fines due from the militia men, agreeable to the Militia Law, for appearing at the general muster on the 6th Inst., without arms. This Detachment was left also with a view to prevent the disaffected in that County from forming into a Body and Joining the Regulators in the adjacent Counties.

This morning a detachment marched to the dwelling house of Turner Tomlinson, a notorious Regulator, and brought him prisoner to Camp where he was closely confined. He confessed he was a Regulator but would make no discoveries.

The Army marched and encamped near Booth’s, on New Hope Creek.

Thursday, 9 May.

Marched and encamped on the South side of Eno River half a mile from Hillsborough.

Friday, 10 May.

Halted, ordered the waggons to be refitted, Horses to be shod, and everything put in repair; Reviewed in Hillsborough two companies of the Orange Militia, the other two Companies not having

-------------------- page 840 --------------------
made up their complement who remained at Major Hart’s Mill.

The prisoner Tomlinson made his escape this evening from the Quarter Guard, detachment sent after him but without success.

Saturday, 11 May.

At 12 o’clock the Army marched thro’ Hillsborough in good order. Halted six hours in the town before horses could be pressed for the Commissaries Waggons, Baggage, and Artillery, many Horses being stolen from Camp. Encamped near Major Hart’s Mill.

This day several more Waggons were taken into the service in lieu of some carts brought from the Southward, that were either broken or too weak to travel over the Stony rugged Roads.

Sunday, 12 May.

Marched and forded Haw River and encamped on the West side of the Banks. It was expected the Regulators would have opposed the passage of the Royalists over this River, as it was their intent, but not suspecting that the Army would move out of Hillsborough till after Monday the 13th Inst., the day of Election of a member for the County of Orange in the room of Herman Husbands who was expelled from the House of Assembly, they were by this sudden movement of the Army defeated in that part of their Plan.

Received this day flying Reports that General Waddell was forced by the Regulators, with the Troops under his command to repass the Yadkin River.

Divine service, with sermon, performed by the Revd. Mr. McCarty. Text, “If you have no sword sell your garment and buy one.”

This day twenty Gentlemen volunteers, joined the Army, chiefly from Granville and Bute Counties. They were formed into a Troop of Light Horse under the command of Capt. Bullock. A Regulator taken by the flanking parties laying in ambush with his gun, the Commissary took out of his house part of a Hogshead of Rum lodged there for the use of the Regulators, also some Hogs which were to be accounted to his family.

Monday, 13 May.

Marched to O’Neal’s 4 miles, and halted near 4 hours. At 12

-------------------- page 841 --------------------
o’clock an Express arrived from General Waddell with a verbal message, the Express not daring to take a letter for fear of its being intercepted. The purport of which message was that on Thursday Evening the 9th Inst., the Regulators to the number of 2,000 surrounded his camp, and in the most daring and insolent manner required the General to retreat with the Troops over the Yadkin River, of which he was then within two miles. He refused to comply, insisting that he had the Governor’s orders to proceed; this made them more insolent, and with many Indian shouts they endeavoured to intimidate his men. The General finding his men not exceeding 300, and generally unwilling to engage, and many of his centries going over to the Regulators, was reduced to comply with their Requisition, and early the next morning repassed the Yadkin River with his Cannon and Baggage, the Regulators agreeing to disperse and return to their several Habitations.

Note.—The Chiefs of the Regulators getting Intelligence on Monday, 12 May, that the Army had passed thro’ Hillsborough, and was marching towards their settlements, dispatched Emissaries through the settlements of Regulators to order them with all possible Dispatch to reassemble at Hunter’s plantation near McGee’s, that they might obstruct the Junction of the forces under the Governor and General Waddell.

A Council of War was held immediately to deliberate on the subject of the Intelligence brought by the Express, composed of the Honourable John Rutherford, Lewis DeRossett, Robert Palmer and Samuel Cornell of his Majesty’s Council, and the Colonels and Field Officers of the Army, wherein it was Resolved, that the Army should change their Route, get into the road at Capt. Holt’s that leads from Hillsborough to Salisbury, pass the Little and Great Alamance Rivers with all possible expedition, and march without loss of time to join General Waddell; accordingly the Army got under march and before night encamped on the West side of Little Alamance, a strong Detachment being sent forward to take possession of the West Banks of Great Alamance to prevent the Enemy’s parties from occupying that strong post.

This evening received Intelligence that the Regulators were sending scouts thro’ all their settlements, and assembling on Sandy Creek near Hunter’s.

-------------------- page 842 --------------------

Monday, 13 May.

Marched and joined the Detachment on the West Banks of the Great Alamance where a strong Camp were chosen, as may be seen by the plan of the encampment. Here the Army halted till more provisions could be brought from Hillsborough under the escort of two Companies of the Orange Detachment, (left to make up their complement), for which purpose several waggons were emptied and sent from Camp to Hillsborough.

Received dispatches from General Waddell bearing date the 11th of May giving Intelligence of the necessity he was under to retreat over the Yadkin River. That he intended to encamp near Salisbury, there to throw up Intrenchments, and wait the Governor’s further orders.

These dispatches were immediately laid before the Council of War and the same measures adopted as in the preceding Council, to proceed to join the General as soon as possible.

Intelligence being brought this Evening into Camp that the Rebels intended to attack the Camp in the night the necessary preparations were made for an engagement and one third of the Army Ordered to remain under arms all night, and the remainder to lay down near their Arms. No alarm given.

Tuesday, 14 May.

Halted, the men ordered to keep in Camp. This Evening the two Companies of the Orange Detachment, left at Major Hart’s Mill, joined the Camp with the sick men left in Hillsborough and the waggons under their convoy sent for provisions.

The Army lay on their Arms all night as in the Preceding. No alarm given.

Wednesday, 15 May.

The Officers and Men of the Orange Detachment were drawn up in the lines and took the Oath of Fidelity. About 6 o’clock in the Evening the Governor received a letter No. —— from the Insurgents which he laid before the Council of War, wherein it was determined that the Army should march against the rebels early the next morning, that the Governor should send them a letter offering terms, and in case of refusal should attack them.

The Army remained under Arms as in the preceding night.

-------------------- page 843 --------------------

Note.—The messenger that brought the letter from the Insurgents signifying that he had orders to return in four hours the Governor dismissed him about 9 o’clock at night, and sent a messenger of his own to see him safe through the outposts, and then to proceed to the Rebels Camp with a letter to acquaint them of his having received their letter, and that he would send them an answer by 12 o’clock the next day; but the Governor’s messenger meeting with Insults from the outposts of the Rebels returned back to Camp with the said Letter. Mr. Walker and Lieut. Ashe of the New Hanover Detachment, going out of Camp after it was dark to reconnoitre beyond the outposts, were surprised and taken by the Enemy.

The men remained all night under Arms; no alarm, tho’ Rebels lay within 5 miles of the Camp.

Thursday, 16 May.

The Army marched soon after 7 o’clock this morning leaving the Guard for the Camp as directed in the orders yesterday. The Barrels of Flour and Pork were made use of to strengthen the Barricade formed by the Waggons.

Note.—The discharging three pieces of Artillery was the signal ordered for forming the Army into two Lines in order of Battle agreeable to the plan.

About two miles from the Camp the whole were ordered by the above signal to form the line, to see if the several Detachments knew their stations. This being performed in good order, the Lines were reduced into a column and continued their march, and before 10 O’Clock came within half a mile of the Rebels’ Camp, where the Army formed in line of Battle. The Governor then sent Capt. Malcolm, one of the Aides-de-Camp, and the Sheriff of Orange, with his Letter, requiring the Rebels to lay down their Arms, surrender up their Outlawed Ringleaders, &c., Vide Letter No. ——. About half past ten Capt. Malcolm and the Sheriff returned with the Information that the Sheriff had read the Letter four several times to different Divisions of the Rebels who rejected the Terms offer’d with disdain, said they wanted no time to consider of them and with rebellious clamor called out for battle. As the Army kept moving on slowly during the absence of Capt. Malcolm

-------------------- page 844 --------------------
and the Sheriff, when they returned the Army was within 300 yards of the Van of the Rebels, who had also advanced towards the Loyalists, waving their hats and daring them to come on. An engagement being then inevitable both Lines were ordered to advance nearer; and they even drew upon the ground upon which the Van of the Rebels first shewed themselves, the latter retreating back to their main body as the Lines advanced.

About this time the Officers petitioned the Governor for an exchange of prisoners in lieu of the two Gentlemen taken over night. After some messages passing on both sides, it was agreed that all the prisoners taken by the Loyalists, (number seven) should be restored for Mr. Walker and Lieutenant Ashe. But the Rebels delaying upwards of half an hour to send back the two Gentlemen, under pretence that they were a distance in the rear, and the Governor being suspicious that they were only protracting the time that they might outwing his Flanks by the superiority of their numbers, sent them word by an Aid-de-Camp he should wait no longer for the prisoners, and cautioned the Rebels to take care of themselves, as he should immediately give the signal for action. Accordingly the Artillery began the fire which was instantly seconded by a discharge from the whole of the first Line. The action was hot on both sides tho’ the Rebels soon took to the Trees, from whence they kept up a brisk fire for near two hours, at the expiration of which time their fire slackened considerably. The Artillery was ordered to cease and the Army to advance in the best order the Circumstances would admit of. The left wing of the first line having turned upon the second line of the said wing, threw both into much disorder, tho’ by the spirited behaviour of the Officers they were again brought into the Field and moved forward with the right wing. This soon drove the Enemy from the Trees and the whole Rebel Army fled in great confusion leaving behind them near 20 prisoners taken in the Field, seventy Horses with saddles, provisions and a small quantity of Ammunition.

The Army pursued not more than half a mile beyond the Field of Battle, thro’ the Enemy’s Camp to a House where were found in a Garret, Mr. Walker and Lieut. Ashe, who had been left to shift for themselves in the hurry of the action; the night they were

-------------------- page 845 --------------------
taken they were stript and tied to a tree and both most severely whipt with small Hickory Sticks.

It being now half past two o’clock, the Enemy entirely dispersed and the Army five miles from Camp, it was thought advisable to lose no time, but to return immediately to the Camp to Alamance. Empty Waggons were order’d from Camp which took both the killed and wounded of the Loyalists, and even several of the wounded Rebels, who acknowledged that had they gained the day no quarter would have been given but to such as would have turned Regulators, these were nevertheless taken good care of, and had their wounds dressed.

The Army got into Camp about five in the Evening, and remained under Arms, as in the preceding nights.

Friday, 17 May.—Alamance Camp.

Army halted. This evening the dead were interred with Military Honors, and an outlaw named Few, taken at the Battle, was hanged at the head of the Army. This gave great satisfaction to the men, and at this time it was a necessary sacrifice to appease the murmurings of the Troops, who were importunate that public justice should be immediately executed against some of the outlaws that were taken in the action, and in opposing of whom they had braved so many dangers and suffered such loss of lives and blood, and without which satisfaction some refused to march forward while others declared they would give no quarter for the future.

Saturday, 18 May.—Alamance Camp.

The second line marched this day under Col. Ashe to Mr. Lewis’s Mill, eight miles from the Camp and three beyond the Field of Battle.

The wounded not able to march with the Army, were this day sent to Michael Holt’s plantation with a surgeon and Medicines.

About ten at night Intelligence was brought to Head Quarters that 300 of the Rebels had appeared in sight of Col. Ashe’s Camp.

Sunday, 19 May.

The Army marched early this morning and joined the second line before twelve. Col. Ashe informed the Governor he had been surrounded all night by 300 of the Rebels, but by keeping his men very

-------------------- page 846 --------------------
alert under Arms the Enemy was deterred from attacking his Camp, excepting a small party which shot one of his outsentries thro’ the shoulder, and took another prisoner from his post.

The whole army got under march by 2 o’clock, and proceeded about 5 miles to Mr. Lewis’, an extensive plantation, and commodious and safe Camp. Cut down a large fruit orchard to open communication between the lines.

Monday, 20 May.

Halted at Lewis’s. The Detachments from Cumberland and Wake Counties, consisting each of one Company of 50 men, joined the Army this evening; Col. Hinton reported that he had been successful in collecting the fines of his Regiment, and that he left the Country very quiet. The Cumberland Detachment mostly Highlanders were formed into a Corps of Light Infantry independent of the Line.

Note.—On the 17th Inst., it was thought expedient, by advice of Council, to issue a proclamation of free pardon to all such of the Rebels as should come into Camp, surrender up their Arms, taken an Oath of Fidelity to the King and agree to pay their taxes, & submit themselves to the Law of the Land. In consequence of which many persons came into Camp, submitted to the terms offered and gave assurance that their Neighbours would do the same, as soon as they could be informed of the terms offered.

Tuesday, 21 May.

Marched five miles to James Hunter’s, the General of the Rebels and an Outlaw. His dwelling house, Barn, &c., though mean, burnt down.

Halted about three hours to give time to a large body of the Inhabitants who came into Camp and took the Oaths of Allegiance, submitted themselves to Government and delivered up their Arms in conformity to the Governor’s Proclamation of the 17th, the day after the Action.

This Evening took possession of Herman Husband’s plantation, containing 600 acres of excellent land, and encamped in two lines. No Account of Husbands after the Action. A large parcel of treasonable papers found in his house, and some of his stock and cattle on and near the plantation.

-------------------- page 847 --------------------

The Inhabitants continuing to come in to submit themselves to Government, it was thought proper by the advice of Council, to extend the proclamation of pardon to the 24th, inclusive.

Note.—Made a requisition from the Quaker settlement on Cane Creek of six waggon loads of Flour for His Majesty’s service.

Wednesday, 22 May.

The Quakers on Cane Creek reporting that the Flour required was stopped at Lindley’s Mill by the Regulators, the Governor Ordered the detachment of Cumberland and Wake and the Light Horse to march immediately to escort the Flour to Camp. Very wet weather this evening and all night.

Thursday, 23 May.

The Detachments of the preceding Day arrived in Camp, from Lindley’s and Dixon’s Mills with nine loads of flour, making seventy barrels. The three extra loads were taken from Dixon’s Mills, the owner having favoured and assisted the Rebels. Made also at this time several other requisitions of Cattle and Flour from the neighbouring settlements.

The weather continuing very rainy and the rivers and water courses so much swelled the Army was obliged to halt.

This afternoon the Governor distributed one hundred and twentysix pounds among the non-commissioned officers and soldiers in the Army, as a reward for the Horses, saddles and Fire Arms taken in Battle.

The Division came to two shillings & six pence per man. Heavy rain all day and night.

Friday, 24 May.

The Orange Corps detached under the command of Col. Fanning to Herman Cox’s on Deep River, to make a requisition of provisions from the inhabitants on the south side of Deep River and Richland Creek. Heavy rains continued night and day.

Saturday, 25 May.

Heavy rains prevented the Army from marching this day, when the Advertizement No. —— was brought into Camp.

Sunday, 26 May.

The Corps of Rangers detached with two loads of Provisions to

-------------------- page 848 --------------------
join the Orange Detachment on Deep River, where the Indian trading path crosses.

This evening Major Hawkins informed the Governor that at Pole Cat Creek, two miles short of Deep River, the Rangers had joined the Orange detachment but that the creek was too much swelled to pass over it. Rains continued day and night.

Monday, 27 May.

Continued in Camp; much rain, it having scarcely ceased for seven days and the men having no tents, or anything to shelter them but Boughs and the Bark of Trees, near one hundred were seized with pleurisies and fevers.

Tuesday, 28 May.

The Army marched five miles and encamped. A very heavy thunder shower this afternoon.

Wednesday, 29 May.

Marched four miles and crossed Pole Cat Creek, a deep and ugly ford. Felled a large tree across the Creek and marched the Troops over in Indian file. From the obstructions in this Creek they were five hours in getting all over; marched two miles beyond the Creek and encamped on the North East banks of Deep River. Left the Rangers, Orange and Wake Detachments, at Pole Cat Creek.

Thursday, 30 May.

The Orange, Wake and Rangers joined the Army. The two former Corps crossed Deep River and marched forward to take possession of the Heights on the West Banks of the Huwara River, a very favorable post by reason of the craggy cliffs, to prevent any troops from passing at that Ford, and made famous by signal defeat the Northern Indians gave the Catawbas; the former having taken possession of the above heights attacked and surprised the latter as they were crossing the ford in their return home from an expedition against the Northern Indians.

Friday, 31 May.

The Army crossed the Huwara and encamped at Flat Swamp, twelve miles.

At noon General Waddell met the Governor on his march and

-------------------- page 849 --------------------
informed him he left the forces under his command crossing the Yadkin Ferry to join the Army.

The Orange, Wake and Light Infantry Corps marched forwards and encamped at Miller’s on Abbot’s Creek.

Saturday, 1 June.

General Waddell returned to his Troops this morning. Col. Fanning brought into Camp this morning Capt. Merrill, Prisoner. The Colonel marched with a detachment with the advanced Corps, in the dead of the night to the prisoners house, surrounded it and made the Captain prisoner. Capt. Merrill had headed four hundred Regulators at the Action of Alamance, and afterwards endeavoured to rally and raise forces.

The Army marched and crossed Abbot’s Creek, and encamped on Captain Merrill’s plantation; a valuable tract of land and well cultivated. The Corps consisting of the Orange, Wake and Rangers, advanced in the road to Salisbury and joined General Waddel’s forces at the forks of the Roads, two miles from the Yadkin River. This night a false alarm was given by an uncommon incident, The horses of the Army, upwards of one hundred, were at pasture with Bells round their necks in a field near to the line of encampment, and in an adjoining garden were several beehives; some soldiers taking a fancy for the honey overturned the hives about midnight, the bees being thus disturbed and enraged dispersed themselves among the horses in the pasture stinging them to such a degree that they broke in one confused squadron over the fence, and came in full gallop and in full chorus of bells up to the camp.

The out centinals uninformed of the real cause joined in the signal of Alarm & the cry thro’ the Camp was, “Stand to your Arms, Stand to your Arms,” this consternation (which cast more horror on the waking imagination than anything that happened during the whole service) was of short duration; the cause being discovered by a Soldier running into Camp who was concerned in the above Robbery.

Sunday, 2 June.

Halted at Capt. Merrill’s. The inhabitants continued to come into Camp, many to surrender up their Arms & all to take the Oath

-------------------- page 850 --------------------
of Allegiance, &c., &c., the Time for proclamation of pardon being enlarged.

Monday, 3 June.

The Corps that had been detached to facilitate the March of General Waddell’s corps rejoined the Army & the General encamped with his forces within half a mile of them, the junction being purposely postponed till the next day, His Majesty’s Birthday; large bodies of the Inhabitants came into Camp to submit themselves to Government agreeable to Proclamation; Capt. Neale with the detachment of Rangers was ordered to march and escort the Commissioners appointed by act of Assembly to run the partition line of Guilford & other new Counties, who had been obstructed in the execution of that service by the Regulators before this expedition was undertaken.

Tuesday, 4 June.

The Army marched twenty miles to Bethlehem, a Moravian settlement.

The Celebration of the King’s Birthday & the Feu de Joie on the Victory on the Queen’s B. D. postponed to the 6th Inst., the men being much harrassed and to give them time to clean their Arms and Linnen.

Note.—Before the Army marched, went to review the General’s forces in their Camp which made a handsome appearance, after which he ordered them to join the Army bringing up the rear, the whole reached the Moravian settlement before five in the evening.

Wednesday, 5 June.

The Army halted. Employed in giving orders for the rejoicings ordered the next day. The Moravians busy in providing bread and beer for the Troops. Strict orders given out to prevent Irregularities.

Thursday, 6 June.

The Army got under Arms at Eleven O’Clock in two lines agreeable to order. At twelve a Royal salute of twenty-one guns. General Wadidell at the head of the lines, immediately after this salute proclaimed “God Bless the King,” which was instantly succeeded by three general cheers. The band of music (borrowed from the

-------------------- page 851 --------------------
Moravians) then played several martial pieces when the celebration of the victory began in the following manner:

First—A double discharge of Artillery placed on the right, left and centre of the front line.

Secondly—A running fire beginning on the right of the first line, passing to the left of the second line, and up to the right of the same.

Thirdly.—Three general cheers or huzzas.

Fourthly.—The band of music played “God save the King.”

These rejoicings were three times repeated, and at the last cheer it seemed a generous Emulation, whether the hats or the shouts of the whole should ascend farthest into the air, so great and general was the joy and gratitude.

Mem.—The Governor having received information that there subsisted a jealousy between his men and those under the command of General Waddell, and that the latter had not taken any oath of Obedience, and on that account were not so tractable as was necessary for Military service, he thought the present moment the most favourable to fix them in their duty, accordingly he, with the principal officers of the Army, moved to the left of the lines where the General’s men were drawn up, and after having commended their behaviour on the day and expatiated on the necessity of harmony and obedience among soldiers he tendered to them the Military Oath his own army had taken. The attempt succeeded and the whole, except one or two, took the same in the ranks. When this ceremony was over (which had the happiest effects in its issue as the Governor was afterwards informed) The Troops marched by the Governor in review, by Platoons, and returned to Camp, where in the evening were bonfires and Rejoicings, and each man was made happy by an allowance of a Loaf of Bread and a pint of Beer.

Friday, 7 June.

Employed in making preparations for the Division of the Army agreeable to a Council of War, by which it was thought absolutely necessary that a Body of Troops should march thro’ the Westward Counties of Rowan and Tryon to bring the Inhabitants to a submission to Government. General Waddell appointed for this command.

-------------------- page 852 --------------------

Saturday, 8 June.

General Waddell marched off with his detachment, amounting to better than six hundred men, in very good order for the westward with seven pieces of Artillery, viz: six swivels, half pounders, and one of the two field pieces sent by General Gage, a three pounder, with half the ammunition of the Army.

Sunday, 9 June.

The Army marched twenty miles to Mr. Limmond’s, (the route to Hillsborough) with upwards of 30 prisoners taken on the 16th of May.

Mem.—The Moravians presented a Loyal address to the Governor on the Thursday preceding, and gave testimony of their willingness to oblige both officers and men.

Monday, 10 June.

Marched 15 miles and encamped near to Mr. Campbell’s Store.

Tuesday, 11 June.

Marched 12 Miles to Dunn’s, an outlaw, and encamped on his plantation.

Wednesday, 12 June.

Marched ten miles and encamped one mile Eastward of the High Rock Ford, on Haw River, on the upper road to Hillsborough.

Thursday, 13 June.

Marched to Fosset’s and encamped to the westward of a small Brook.

Friday, 14 June.

Marched through the Town of Hillsborough and encamped one mile to the Eastward of it, adjoining to Few’s plantation (Father of the outlaw that was hanged 17 May). The Horses and cattle turned into the plantation, the owner having been very active in promoting the disturbance of the Country.

Mem.—The distance from the Moravians to Hillsborough is 85 miles.

The troops halted. This the day of the Trial of the State prisoners came on in the special Court of Oyer and Terminer held in Hillsborough and which had been kept open since the 30 May, the

-------------------- page 853 --------------------
situation of the public affairs not allowing the Governor to bring the prisoners earlier to justice, he having no place of security to keep them but with the Army; and the marching them through the Country made a deep impression in the minds of the Inhabitants.

Sunday, 16 June.

The Army halted. Divine service performed in Camp.

Monday, 17 June.

Army halted. State Tryals continued.

Tuesday, 18 June.

Army halted. State Trials finished when twelve prisoners were sentenced to die as Traitors.

Wednesday, 19 June.

The twelve prisoners condemned were escorted by the whole Army, under the command of Col. Ashe, to the place of execution, six were hanged and the other six reprieved until his Majesty’s pleasure should be known; this grace was granted in compliance with the wishes of the Army, the Officers having recommended them as objects of mercy.

Thursday, 20 June.

The Governor summoned the Field Officers of the Army to his Tent and informed them he had some few days past received his Majesty’s Command, signified to him by the Earl of Hillsborough, to repair without loss of time to New York to take upon him the administration of the Government; that as he had reason to think the service for which the Expedition had been undertaken was effectually compleated, (which was the unanimous opinion of the gentlemen present), he should march the Army in the afternoon to the Southward and the next morning make the best of his way to New Bern, leaving his Troops under the command of Col. Ashe. The Governor then expressing the warm sense of his gratitude for their gallant service and those of the men under their command and receiving in return from those gentlemen the most affectionate expressions of Respect and Esteem, they left his tent.

The Army marched this evening five miles. The route to New Bern.

-------------------- page 854 --------------------

Friday, 21 June.

Soon after the Troops got on their march they halted and drew up in two ranks facing inwards. The Governor then rode between the Ranks and took an affectionate and painful leave of those brave men, thro’ whose spirit, obedience and attachment he surmounted all his difficulties. He then proceeded to New Bern, one hundred and eighty miles from Hillsborough, Embarked the 30 June and on the 7th of July, arrived with his family in his present Government.

Thus ended an expedition the arduous undertaking and happy issues of which are submitted to the consideration of Government.