Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Declaration by Joshua Adcock concerning his military service in the Revolutionary War [Extract]
Adcock, Joshua
Volume 22, Pages 93-94

(Extract from the “Declaration” of Joshua Adcock a soldier of the Revolution. Pension Office, Washington, D. C. “Invalid—File No. 6467.”)

∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ “He enlisted in the Army of the United States in the year 1777, with Lieutenant John Low, and served in the 1st and

-------------------- page 94 --------------------
10th Regiments of the (N. C.) Continental Line, under the following named officers, To-wit: he was enlisted by Lieut. John Low in the month of May, 1777, for the Term of three years; at the time he enlisted, he resided in Caswell Co., North Carolina; he was attached to the company commanded by Capt. James Wilson; he was marched from Caswell County to Kingston on Neuse River, where his company joined the 10th Regiment of Infantry commanded by Col. Shepherd, Lieut. Col. Dozier, and Major Ashe. His Regiment marched from Kingston to Halifax, from Halifax to Georgetown, where himself and nearly all the Regiment were inoculated with the small pox. From Georgetown he marched with his Regiment to the Valley Forge which was head quarters. At the Valley Forge the 10th Regiment was disbanded and attached to the first and second Regiments. He fell in the first Regiment, which was commanded by Colonel Clark and Major Ashe, in the company commanded by Lieut. Callender. From the Valley Forge he marched to the White Plains, from whence he marched to Monmouth, but was not in that Battle, as he was left with the baggage. After the battle of Monmouth he was marched to West Point, from here to Elk River, where the troops took water with a view of going to Charleston, but the cold setting in so severe that it became impracticable, in consequence of the Ice to go by water, and it was abandoned. From Elk River he marched with the Army to Charleston. He was there under the command of Lieut. Shaw. He reached Charleston, as well as he can recollect, in the month of March, 1780; he remained with the army in Charleston until that city fell into the hands of the Enemy. His term of service expired on the 6th day of May, 1880, which was a few days before the city was surrendered. He did not apply for a discharge at the end of his service, as he did not think he could get home in safety, and was taken prisoner with the rest of the army. He remained a prisoner a few weeks when he made his escape and returned home.”