Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Declaration by Jesse Alsobrook concerning his military service in the Revolutionary War [Extracts]
Alsobrook, Jesse
December 26, 1832
Volume 22, Pages 95-96

(Extract from the “declaration” of Jesse Alsobrook Private of N. C. Continentals, filed in Pension Office, Washington, D. C. O. W. & N. D. Invalid, No. 16,600. Dec. 26th, 1832.)

∗ ∗ ∗ “He enlisted in Halifax Co., N. C., as a regular soldier, as well as he now recollects, on the 25th April, 1781, for one year and entered the service as a regular soldier under Captain Robert Raiford—a brave and good Captain. His Lieutenant was by the name of Dudley. A Col. Dixon and Major Armstrong commanded the regiment to which he belonged.

There were two of the Armstrong’s in the Army and one of them was called Colonel. He recollects there were two regiments of regulars from North Carolina, each enlisted about the same time and called twelve months regulars. The two were together for that time. He served in the first Regiment commanded, as he thinks, by the above regimental officers. Gen. Sumner commanded both these regiments. Among the officers of his acquaintance, from North Carolina, in the above forces were Col. Lytle, Major Donahoe, Captains Sharpe, Dixon and Lytle, in addition to those above mentioned.

Curtis Ivey was Adjutant of the 1st and Capt. Wm. Bush was Adjutant of the 2nd Regiment.

We met in small companies at the High Hills of Santee (S. C.), and joined Gen. Greene, and were then regulated into companies,

-------------------- page 96 --------------------
battalions and regiments. Before we got to the High Hills of Santee, we had a little skirmish with Tarleton and Cornwallis across the river Roanoke at Halifax, but the only principal Engagement of much note that he recollects to have been in was at the Eutaw Springs. Two miles before we reached the place of the general engagement we had a little fight between the horse on each side. Just before the commencement Captain Raiford and twenty four men, of whom this applicant was one, were ordered by Col. Armstrong to advance ahead with two field pieces and the officers belonging to the artillery, and when we had advanced some distance in a run we discovered an advanced party of the British foot on our left in ambush just ready to fire and at that moment Capt. Raiford, commanded us to squat, and as we were in the in the act of doing so, the British fired and killed John McCoy and John Russel, two of my mess-mates. At this moment we raised and fired, and then our horse, commanded by Marion and Pickens, came to our relief, and cut that party of the British off. The general engagement then commenced and lasted for some time when the British took Col. Washington. Gen. Greene told Col. Washington that day to keep out of the fight, and save his men for a reserve, as this applicant was then told, but long before the battle ended Col. Washington and his horse broke two or three times thro’ the British lines and back but at last he was wounded. The British rushed him into a big brick house that they retreated to. In this engagement the Lieutenant of my company was wounded. This applicant and two others carried him off the field. His leg was broken by a grape shot. This applicant knows not whether he ever recovered.

∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗ ∗

Captain Sharpe of the 2nd Regiment had on that day 29 of his men killed. Of Captain Raiford’s company there were but about 5 or 6 killed, two of whom are named above. From this engagement we were marched back to the High Hills of Santee where we stayed for most of the winter.”