Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Declaration by William Allen concerning his military service in the Revolutionary War [Extract]
Allen, William
September 18, 1832
Volume 22, Pages 101-102

(Extract from the declaration of William Allen, dated 18th Sept., 1832, filed in the Pension Office, Washington. “O. W. & N. D., Invalied, No. 30,822.”)

“He volunteered as a private in the militia of North Carolina about the 1st of September, 1781, and redezvoused at Hillsborough, N. C. The Captain who commanded his company he has no recollection of, only his appearance which was that of a keen active man. The Lieutenant of his Company was by the name of John Campbell, and the Ensign was Robert Scoby. He states that he was under the command of his officers but a short time, as the sequel will show, but that the Colonel of his regiment was Archibald Lytle, who was a regular officer. Much else of the organization of the troops, and of the officers, he does not now recollect. At the time of entering the

-------------------- page 102 --------------------
service he resided in Orange Co., N. C. He was born in the State of Pennsylvania, and went to Orange at an early age. He volunteeered for a six months tour and the troops to which he belonged were raised for the purpose, as he understood, of marching to join Gen. Greene at the High Hills of Santee River, thence to march to a place in South Carolina called Ninety-six, now Cambridge; but while at Hillsborough preparing to go on this expedition, the Tories under the command of Tory Fanning, and the British under Col. McDougan, came upon us and took three hundred of us prisoners, among whom was Governor Burke. He saw Col. Lytle wounded by a sword in the head by Tory Fanning. This transaction took place at Hillsborough as above stated on the 4th of September, 1781. That night we remained near Hillsborough and were carried next morning by the British and Tories to a place called Lindley’s Mill, where a pretty severe and well fought battle took place between a force of the Republicans and the British and Tories, during which engagement the prisoners were kept in a close place with a strong guard around them. He recollects well of seeing there killed the celebrated Tory Colonel McNeil. That night, after the battle of Lindley’s Mill, we were forced off by our captors and taken by Wilcox’s Iron Works to Wilmington, where we were put on board of British ships, which steered towards the West India Islands, and then tacked and disembarked us at Charleston, where the greater part remained until peace, but this applicant states that he was exchanged on the 11th of August, 1782, and came on back home in Orange.”


Affidavit made in State of Illinois, County of Gallatin.