Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Declaration by Westwood Armistead concerning his military service in the Revolutionary War [Extract]
Armistead, Westwood
March 05, 1844
Volume 22, Pages 106-107

(Declaration of Westwood Armistead—Pension Office, Washington “O. W. & N. D. Widow—8100.”)


State of North Carolina,
Chatham County, 5th March, 1844.

Personally appeared before me, Thomas Bell, J. P., &c., Westwood Armistead, who (&c., &c.):

“Sayeth, First that he is eighty-one years old, that when very young he was drafted into the Army in the year 1781, a short time before the Guilford battle; that at the time he was drafted he lived in the County of Northampton, and after being drafted he was ordered and did Rendezvous at Halifax on the Roanoke, in the State of N. Ca., and marched from there under Capt. Madrie to Guilford C. H.—was in the Guilford Battle—his whole Company fled, but again rendezvoused at Troublesome Iron Works, and that he was then returned a soldier for 12 months under Anthony Armistead, his brother. Then marched to Camden in the State of S. C., and was in the battle which there took place (Hobkirk’s Hill). From thence marched to Fort Motte, from thence to Augusta in the State of Georgia, and was there again in battle. From there took up march for Ninety-Six, but was by the British taken prisoner on the way in a skirmish, and

-------------------- page 107 --------------------
carried to Charlestown in the State of S. C.; was there put on board a man of war—the name of the vessel not recalled—remained in Charlestown for some time, was carried from there to England. A fight took place on the way between the ship carrying this deponent and a French vessel. He was landed on the Island of Jersey in the English Channel; was there sick for a considerable time. On recovery was sent to Spithead prison and was there confined until peace was made. Was then sent by cartel to Havre de Grace in France. There saw the American Consul from whom he received some money and a pass, and went from there to L’Orient, and there obtained passage on board an American ship, commanded by Capt. Pearson, which landed in May or June, 1783, at Boston, in the United States. This deponent further declares on oath that he has not at any time received pay for any part of his services.”

Thos. Bell, J. P.