Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Declaration by John P. Ives concerning his military service in the Revolutionary War
Ives, John P.
August 14, 1832
Volume 22, Page 133

-------------------- page 133 --------------------


On this 14th day of August, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-two, personally appeared in open Court before George Wilson, John Harris, and John Brinson the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions of the County of Craven, JOHN P. IVES, a resident of said County, aged seventy-eight years in October next, who being first duly sworn doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7, 1832:

That he volunteered in the militia about the beginning of the Revolutionary war under Thomas Hyre and marched to Wilmington, North Carolina; that this was for a term of three months—he was discharged and came home to Craven County. He remained at home about five or six months and then enlisted to serve six months, to be completed after leaving the State.

He remained in the State about three months after enlistment and then marched to Charleston under Capt. Weeks—William Caswell was Colonel (son of General Caswell). He remained at Charleston and news arrived that the British had taken Savannah. He was then marched to Augusta, the British and Tories retreated from Augusta, towards Savannah, the Whigs pursued under General Ashe. At Brier Creek, the enemy set fire to the bridge and while the Whigs were at work upon it they were surprised and after a little skirmishing retreated. Declarant says that his Captain (Weeks), took violent cold in crossing the Savannah river and died at a place called the Two Sisters, about four or five miles from Brier Creek. The defeat at Brier Creek happened just about the time his term of service expired and he was regularly discharged at Kinston, N. C. In the course of the same year he enlisted for three months under John Council Bryan and was employed in guarding prisoners and marched with prisoners to Halifax twice.