Documenting the American South Logo
Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Description by Robert Campbell of the Battle of King's Mountain
Campbell, Robert, 1755-1832
Volume 15, Pages 372-373

[From a small book kept by Ensign Robert Campbell.]

At the Battle of King's Mountain the Americans had thirty killed and about sixty wounded, the British two hundred and twenty-five killed and something less than that number wounded.

Col. David Campbell, of Campbell's Station, was in Dysart's campany at the battle of King's Mountain. Col. Robert Campbell was the Ensign in the same company.

In the expedition to King's Mountain Col. Campbell, Col. Shelby and Col. Sevier rendezvoused in the Sycamore Flats on Watauga at the foot of Yellow Mountain on the 25th of September, 1780. Next day, the 26th, they ascended this mountain,

-------------------- page 373 --------------------
mostly on horseback, and encamped at night in the gap on the opposite side. The ascent over this part of the mountain was not very difficult. There was a road, but not one on which wagons could pass. No provisions were taken but such as each man could carry in his wallet or saddle-bags. The sides and top of the mountain were covered with snow, shoe-mouth deep. On the top of the mountain there was about one hundred acres of beautiful table land, in which a spring issued, ran through it and over into the Watauga. Here the troops paraded. On reaching the plane beyond the mountain they found themselves in a country covered with verdure, and breathed an atmosphere of summer mildness. The second night, the night of the 27th, they rested at Cathey's plantation. The third day, the 28th, they fell in with Genl. McDowell, and that night held a consultation of the officers. The General was without troops, yet his rank and former services could not be easily overlooked. It was stated in the counsel that they needed an experienced officer to command them. Morgan was the man they wanted, and to obviate all difficulties Genl. McDowell offered to be the bearer of their wishes to Genl. Gates. The fourth night, the 29th, they rested at a rich Tory's, where they obtained abundance of every necessary refreshment. On the fifth day, the 30th, they reached the Catawba and were joined by Cleveland. Here they dispatched Gen. McDowell to Gen. Gates.

On passing near the Cowpens they heard of a large body of Tories about eight miles distant, and although the main enterprise was not to be delayed a single moment, a party of eighty volunteers, under Ensign Robert Campbell, was dispatched in pursuit of them during the night. They had, however, removed before the party came to the place, who, after riding all night, came up with the main body next day. On the next night a similar expedition was conducted by Captain Colvill with no better success, but without causing any delay.

The battle was fought on Saturday, the 7th day of October, 1780. On the next Saturday a court-martial was held for the trial of the Tories. This is represented in history to have taken place immediately, but it was the eighth day after the battle.